It’s important in any course of study to have a strong foundation in the basics. The following courses, webinars, audio downloads and reading suggestions will help you create a solid course of self-guided study.
We’re always available for one-on-one mentoring and tutoring when you need it. Just reach out and we’ll help connect you with one of our fine teachers for private sessions. We’re here to help shed light on a confusing topic, get your studies moving in the right direction, or apply what you’ve learned in one of our online courses.
At the beginning, you’ll need to spend time getting to know the building blocks of astrology: Signs, Planets and Houses. From these core symbols, all styles of astrology are built.
Courses for Beginners
These courses introduce students to the basic building blocks, in addition to general knowledge about how a chart is constructed, and some of the overarching philosophy behind various astrological approaches.
- Beginning Astrology – A Language of Life with Robert Blaschke (includes some intermediate topics too, but provides a great introduction)
- Practical Astrology for Beginners with Kelly Surtees
Planets, Signs and Houses
These are the building blocks of astrology. You’ll need to understand the basic symbols (planets, signs and houses) to do just about anything with astrology, whether you want to read birth chart or understand the unique energies that unfold anew every day.
Steven Forrest’s Elements series covers all of the major astrological symbols over 4 audio lectures.
- Earth Element Symbols with Steven Forrest
- Water Element Symbols with Steven Forrest
- Air Element Symbols with Steven Forrest (coming soon)
- Fire Element Symbols with Steven Forrest (coming soon)
We don’t currently offer any beginning-level webinars on just the signs, but we will soon! Once you get to the intermediate level, we have some wonderful signs lectures with Jason Holley that explore the more nuanced mythic and psychological dynamics. But at the beginning level, we suggest keeping it simple!
Until we have a standalone set of signs lectures for beginners, start with the Elements series by Steven Forrest above. 3 signs are covered in detail in each series, in addition to the major planets and all 12 houses.
This talk by Jeff Jawer addresses the signs from a humanistic perspective:
- The Signs of the Zodiac with Jeff Jawer
You can spend a lifetime exploring the meaning of the planets! But you have to start somewhere. Here are some great webinars and classes that will get you started.
- Chart Interpretation 1: Planets with Kelly Surtees
- The Moon through the 12 Signs with Steven Forrest
- Mercury through the 12 Signs with Steven Forrest
- Venus through the 12 Signs with Steven Forrest
- Mars and the Spiritual Warrior with Steven Forrest
- Challenging Mars with Tony Howard
- Understanding Saturn with Jessica Murray
- Saturn the Guardian of Our True Potential with Mark Jones
- Understanding Uranus with Jessica Murray
- Working with Neptune with Jessica Murray
- Working with Pluto with Jessica Murray
The houses are the places where all the action happens. Every planet is in a sign and a house. The sign tells us about the style, the mode or the agenda the planet has. While the house describes where that planet expresses most visibly in our life.
If you’re brand new to astrology, start with the planets and then the signs. Once you’re feeling comfortable with those, add the houses. Here are some classes to get you started with the houses:
- The Twelve Houses: The Wheel of Life with Demetra George
- The Ascendant: The Mask You Wear with Kelly Surtees
- The Spiritual Dimensions of the Ascendant with Robert Blaschke
- Spotlight on Success: The Midheaven with Frank Clifford
- The 11th House of Good Spirit with Kelly Surtees
- The Water Houses with Darby Costello
Supplementary Topics for Beginners
Once you have a handle on the planets, signs and houses, it’s important to take in the elements and modalities.
Exploring our rich history will help you place astrology in the current context of our times as well as develop a profound respect for our craft.
Elements and Modalities
- Elements and Modalities with Demetra George
The History of Astrology
Learning about the rich history of our craft can inspire awe and wonder as well as an appreciation for the context current astrological study arises from.
- The History of Astrology with Demetra George
Search for these books at your favorite local book shop or at Amazon or Powell’s online.
- The Inner Sky by Steven Forrest – This timeless classic considers why the symbols are oriented as they are, rather than just describing them.
- Astrology by Ronald Davison – A handy little reference book you’ll refer to often as you’re getting started.
- Making the Gods Work for You by Caroline Casey – This book will help you think more creatively right from the start of your studies.
- Astrology for Lovers by Liz Greene – This classic and often-quoted book has one of the best descriptions of the psychological dynamics of signs available.
- The Inner Planets by Liz Greene
- Saturn: A New Look at an Old Devil by Liz Greene
- The 12 Houses by Howard Sasportas
- The Astrological Houses by Dane Rudhyar